Lives of the Unconscious
When this term comes into play, all analytical alarm bells start going off: Oedipus Complex. This concept seems to epitomize everything disreputable in all those abysmally-fanciful psychoanalytic concepts, which conflate childhood and sexuality and which give birth to concepts such as castration anxiety, penis envy, incestuous desire. But what exactly is the Oedipus complex about? And is the concept still relevant for psychoanalysis today?
Visit our website: www.psy-cast.org or our youtube-channel:
Join our newsletter: Write a mail with the subject “Newsletter registration” to Lives@psy-cast.org
Support us on Patreon and get the scripts to the episodes: www.patreon.com/lives
- Boschan, P. (1990). Temporality and Narcissism. Int. Rev. Psycho-Anal., 17, 337–349.
- Deleuze, G., Guattari, F. (1972/2009). Anti-Oedipus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia. London: Penguin.
- Fonagy, P., Krause, R., Leuzinger-Bohleber, M. (2006). Identity, Gender, and Sexuality. 150 Years after Freud. London: International Psychoanalytic Association.
- Freud S (1924). The dissolution of the Oedipus complex. Standard Edition, 19, 172–179.
- Laplanche, J. (1999). Masochism and the Theory of Generalized Seduction. Essays on otherness, Warwick Studies in European Philosophy. London: Routledge.
- Lemma, A., Lynch, P.E. (Hg.) (2015). Sexualities. Contemporary Psy-choanalytic Perspectives. London: Routledge.
- Loewald, H. (2000). The Waning of the Oedipus Complex. J Psychother Pract Res. 2000 Fall; 9(4): 239–249
- Ogden, T. (2018). The Primitive Edge of Experience. London: Routledge.
- Pederson, T. (2015). The Economics of Libido: Psychic Bisexuality, the Superego, and the Centrality of the Oedipus Complex. London: Karnac.
- Solms, M. (2018). The Neurobiological Underpinnings of Psychoanalytic Theory and Therapy. Front. Behav. Neurosci.
- Vogt, R. (1986). Psychoanalyse zwischen Mythos und Aufklärung oder: Das Rätsel der Sphinx [Psychoanalysis between myth and enlightment or: the riddle of the Sphinx]. Frankfurt a.M.: Qumran.